Federal Skilled Trades Class in Canada

Federal Skilled Trades Class in Canada


The Canadian government has introduced this program to cover the trades occupations shortages across the Canadian provinces and territories, it allows the class of foreign workers who has experience in skilled trade occupations to become economically established in Canada through granting the permanent residency of the country. 

The program is managed and administered by the express entry system in Canada, along with the Federal Skilled Workers program and the Canadian Experience Class programs. Applicants applying under this program must first meet the minimum eligibility criteria which will allow them to proceed and create their express entry profiles and express their interest to settle in Canada, where they’ll be ranked and placed in a pool of candidates based on the points they accumulated through the Comprehensive Ranking System, the IRCC (Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada) conducts draws to select the highest-ranking applicants from the express entry pool, those selected will be invited to apply for the permanent residency application in Canada. 

The minimum criteria for this program is as follows: 

  • Applicants must meet the minimum language proficiency requirement for this program for each language ability (writing, reading, listening, speaking) in the English or French languages, it is notable that the language requirements of this program is lower than the Federal Skilled Workers and the Canadian Experience Class programs. 
  • Applicants must have at least 2 years of experience in a skilled trade within the past 5 years before they apply, the occupations that applicants are allowed to apply under in this program are classified into categories as follows:

-  Industrial, electrical and construction trades

- Maintenance and equipment operation trades

- Supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production

- Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators

- Chefs and cooks

- Butchers and bakers

  • They must have one of the following: 

A- A valid job offer for a period of 1 year. 

B- Certificate of qualification in their skilled trades which they can obtain from the responsible federal authority in one of the Canadian provinces and territories. 

After meeting these main requirements, and after being selected from the express entry pool, applicants will submit their applications to the IRCC (Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada) and where they’ll be assessed according to the set policies where they must pass the medical and security background checks or financial requirements (applicants with a job offer do not have proof financial admisiblity) and will afterwards be granted the Canadian Permanent residency.